Do you want to clean your fur coat without damaging it? Don’t know how to clean a fur coat properly?
Don’t worry, in this post, you’re going to find out everything you need to know regarding the proper cleaning of fur coats without damaging them.
Here is a quick cleaning guide.
To clean a fur coat, simply:
- Lay the coat on a neat flat surface
- Sprinkle sawdust over the major spots, and let it rest overnight.
- The sawdust will absorb the filth, which you can then vacuum up in the morning. Make sure it is set to mild suction to avoid damaging the fur.
How to Wash Your Fur Coat Without Damaging It?
Handwashing is always the best and most secure way to clean fur.
Fill a washbasin or sink with cold water and add 2 capfuls or a spritz of Wool & Cashmere Shampoo.
Rinse the item well with cold water until the water is no longer soapy. Don’t wring your hands.
Is It Possible to Wash a Genuine Fur Coat?
A professional furrier or a dry cleaner who specializes in cleaning fur should be able to do the work for you once in a while. Let’s say that you have to do this operation once a year before winter.
If you try to wash a genuine fur coat at home, you might permanently damage it if you make a small mistake.
However, if you follow thoroughly the steps, you don’t risk that much.
How Do You Clean a Stinky Fur Coat?
If the lining of your fur or the outside part of your hair stinks, here is how to proceed:
- Lay it flat down, sprinkle with baking soda, gently massage it in, and left it overnight.
- The following morning, dust off the powder to eliminate the residue, and the odors will be gone. Repeat the technique if the odor persists.
Can You Wash a Fur Coat in the Washing Machine?
Don’t throw your expensive real fur in the washing machine.
However, you have the option to clean a faux fur coat in the washing machine.
It is not what we advise you to do, but with a lack of time, you may give it a go.
- Simply flip your coat inside out, put it in the washing machine, and set it to the delicate cycle.
- Then add two teaspoons of delicates or wool detergent.
- Soak in the coat for 15 minutes.
- Then adjust the washing machine’s rinsing cycle so that it uses cold water.
Is It Possible to Steam Clean a Fur Coat?
Steam is used to eliminate wrinkles as well as odors and microorganisms.
Ironing will cause the fur to burn. So, steam cleaning is not adequate for fur coats of any type.
Is It Safe to Put Your Fur in the Dryer?
We highly recommend never putting real fur or fake fur in the dryer!
High heat may cause fake fur strands to melt, resulting in knotting and matting, hence losing the soft texture entirely.
The safest bet is to hang dry or lay it on the ground
How Much Money Does Cleaning a Fur Coat Cost?
The cost of cleaning a real fur coat varies from $7- to $130.
Experts in this field advise you to take it to a furrier rather than a dry cleaner to retain its quality, as self-cleaning or hiring an incompetent person might damage its genuine state.
Is It Possible to Wash Faux Fur Fabric?
In contrast to actual fur textiles, fake fur fabrics and clothing may be washed, but only if required.
Use a mild detergent and wash the clothing in cool or cold water. Remember, we want to remove as much heat as possible from the process.
We have a detailed guide on washing faux fur rugs and another article on cleaning faux fur stools.
With the methods given in this article, you can clean your fur coat without risking anything.
We’ve also given you useful tips to consider. They will help you maintain your real or faux fur coat in a good shape.
I hope you found this article helpful. If you liked it please let us know in the comments and spread the word.