The beautiful colors of these fluffy rugs have the potential to grab the attention of everyone. They are an unavoidable part of every room. Their soft texture and fluffy appearance make them the No. 1 choice for household carpets.
This brings up the question:
How to correctly wash a faux fur rug?
This article will answer your questions and give practical ways to keep your fluffy carpets soft and clean.
Let’s get started.
An Ultimate Faux Fur Rug Cleaning Guide
How to clean a faux fur rug can be tricky.
Washing Faux Fur Rugs In The Washing Machines
If you follow the guidelines thoroughly, then you can easily use the washing machine with no worries
But keep in mind that there are some exceptions, and some of these fuzzy rugs do not withstand washing in the machine.
You might be wondering, how would I know whether my faux fur rug is machine washable or not?
Here is the pro tip for you.
Check out the tag, as most fur rugs contain specific tags showing cleaning guidelines and precautions.
Written instructions can be like:
- Do not wash it with colored rugs or fluffy carpets.
- Use warm water while washing.
- Hand washing only
Sometimes, you may see standard signs or tags that tell you what to do exactly.
If you do not find any, then the chances are that your faux fur rug can be cleaned in the washing machine.
Machine Washing Steps For A Faux Fur Rug
● Use cold water and put the rug in the washing machine with no other clothing.
● Adjust the washing machine settings and use the least amount of spin possible.
● Only one complete wash cycle is enough, and you should not be using fast washing cycles again and again.
● After one wash cycle, remove the rug from the machine.
● While retaining its natural flow, shake diligently to remove the excess water.
● You can also use a towel or sponges to absorb the remaining water.
Make sure to complete all the steps carefully, so that the original shape and texture are conserved.
Hand Washing Steps For A Faux Fur Carpet
You can get the wanted result by washing the faux fur rug with your hands, though it will need more work.
There are various instructions that you must follow while washing an artificial fuzzy rug with your hands.
Let’s break it down.
● First of all, fill the tub with cold water. Do not use too much water. Keep the tub only half-filled.
● The next step is to choose the right washing materials. Various rug detergent powders are widely available in the market; however, mild laundry soap and other light detergent washers are also fine.
● Do not fully dip the rug in the tub. Find the dirtiest places and wash them one by one.
● Once you remove all the spots by hand, dip the rug in the water and let the dirt clear on its own with the chemical reaction.
● If your rug is still unclean, use lukewarm water instead of cold water.
● While cleaning the rug, gently rub two areas against each other.
● Use a brush to clean the sticky remaining dirt, however, be careful with rough scrubbing that can lead to the loss of the original texture or materials.
●Finally, rinse your rug until all the suds are gone, and the water falling from the carpet becomes clean.
I know what you are thinking:
Why is rinsing a watery rug a little difficult? It is because they absorb a big quantity of detergent and water and they become heavy to hold.
But here is a trick:
To make the rinsing easier, place the faux fur rug on a flat surface like the floor, and keep pouring clean water while gently removing the bubbles using your hands.
How To Dry Faux Fur Rugs The Correct Way?
There are various do’s and don’ts when it comes to drying a faux fur rug.
● Do not use a dry-cleaner to dry the rug. Some people still use it with no heating settings, but it can damage the hair. and the fur rug texture can become rough.
● Don’t force it into the drying machine.
● Do not hang a heavy wet rug directly on the hanger or wall; otherwise, it will get deformed, and the weight of the water will change the direction of the fibers in only a downward direction.
● Air drying is the most reliable and safe way to dry fur rugs. Under the sun on a windy day is perfect.
● You can also use strong plastic hangers to hang the rug in the open air or on the rooftop.
● You may use a fan or a hairdryer in colder settings to accelerate the drying.
Usually, it doesn’t take more than 48 hours in good sunny weather.
Common Questions on How To Wash A Faux Fur Rug
To guide you from scratch and keep the target audience in mind, we have made a list of questions and answers that people are most likely to ask about the cleaning process of a faux fur rug.
Note: This Q/A list also contains the queries that we received related to faux fur rug cleaning.
Can I wash my faux fur rug in the washing machine if the tag says “wash using fur method”?
Yes, you can wash it in the washing machine while keeping the washing cycle gentle.
I have a very big faux fur rug; how can I clean it at home?
The best option to clean the large faux rugs is spot cleaning. Use some water and a mild detergent to clean the spotty areas and then dry them out using a hairdryer.
Is it safe to use a vacuum cleaner to the cleaning of faux fur rugs?
Yes, it is safe as long as the edges are held down. Otherwise, they may get sucked up, destroying the whole appearance of the rug permanently.
How do I clean animal pee on a faux fur rug?
Use a small amount of baking soda and pour it on the pee. You will notice that it will absorb the dirt right away, and you can then use the spot cleaning method to get rid of the stain.
Still Confused? Take Your Faux Fur Rug To The Dry Cleaner
Want to avoid the stress of cleaning it yourself? It is normal.
If you find all of the above-mentioned techniques difficult or if you don’t feel confident enough to try them, then use some help and call a cleaning service.
The Bottom Line
Now you have read about how to clean a faux fur rug at home. We hope this article was of good help.
Do not forget to share your thoughts, ideas, and experiences in the comment section.